Your Privacy is Important to Us!
Last updated: May 24, 2018
This Privacy Statement describes how Shoppers Confidential Inc. may collect, use and disclose information we collect through our organization’s website, shoppersconfidential.com.
Shoppers Confidential Inc. (SCI) is committed to respecting the privacy of individuals and recognizes a need for the appropriate management and protection of any personal information that you agree to provide to us. We will not sell, trade, lend, disseminate or share your information with any third party outside of our organization, other than as necessary to fulfill your request.
Personal Data We Collect and Why
When you create or modify an account, we collect the following information:
● Your name, gender, and date of birth, so we know that you are a real person and not a robot
● Your address and distance you’d be willing to travel, so we can offer you shops in your area
● Your email address, so we can contact you about mystery shopping opportunities
● Your PayPal email address, so you can get paid for your work
● Photo and additional personal information or attributes that you volunteered to provide (e.g. age, ethnicity, education, marital status, etc.), so we can better offer you mystery shops that you’d be eligible for and interested in
● A record of the shops you have applied for, completed or are in the process of completing so we know which shops you have completed and keep track of payments
We use first-party and third-party cookies to compile aggregate data about site traffic and site interaction so we can optimize our website and create a better user experience for you.
How We Use Personal Data
Your information may be used for the following purposes:
● To schedule and assign shops to you
● To pay you for completed assignments
● To send periodic emails about opportunities, promotions or contests
● To communicate with you about your account and provide customer service
The only individuals that have access to your information are our schedulers, survey validators, supervisors, and database developers.
Reasons We Disclose Personal Data
Generally, we will only share your Personal Data by your request or with your consent. However, Shoppers Confidential Inc. may disclose your personal information when required by law or in the good-faith belief that such action is necessary to:
- Respond to legal process served on SCI or the site;
- Protect and defend the rights, security or property of SCI, or
- Protect the safety of SCI employees, independent contractors, users of SCI products or services, or members of the general public.
Also, in the case that tax authorities (or any other governmental body) ask SCI for the names of mystery shoppers and amounts they were paid, we will comply with their request and provide them with this info.
Access & Control of Your Personal Data
You can request more information on or a copy of the Personal Data we store and we will follow the guidelines set by the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents (PIPED) Act.
Should you wish to receive a copy of all your personal information that we have on file, simply send a letter to SCI’s main office at 500 King Street West, Suite 300, Toronto, ON, M5V 1L9, Canada.
As stated in the PIPED Act, we have 30 days to acknowledge your request though we will do our very best to respond as soon as possible.
Please remember that SCI has a small team of only a few full-time staff, and hundreds of thousands of mystery shoppers in our database. Honoring these requests involves a fair amount of labour, administrative work, postage and handling fees. Therefore, you will be charged a nominal fee of approximately $15.00 CAD in service of your request. You will be notified of the exact cost before we process your request.
Storage and Security of Your Personal Data
Our information is stored in the United States (“U.S.”). By providing any Personal Data for any of the purposes stated above, you consent to the transfer and storage of your Personal Data to the U.S., including the hosting of such Personal Data on U.S. servers.
Shoppers Confidential Inc. is committed to protecting the Personal Data you share with us and to keep this information accurate and up to date. Only those who schedule, validate or assign jobs have access to your personal information.
We also recommend you take every precaution in protecting your Personal Data when you are on the Internet, such as changing your passwords often, using unique combination of letters and numbers when creating passwords, and making sure you use a secure browser.
Changes and Updates to the Privacy Statement
As our organization changes from time to time, this Privacy Statement is expected to change as well. We reserve the right to amend SCI’s Privacy Statement at any time, for any reason, without notice to you, other than the posting of the amended Privacy Statement at this Site. Please check our Site periodically to see the current Privacy Statement that is in effect and any changes that may have been made to it.
Questions, Concerns or Complaints
If you have any questions, concerns or complaints in regard to your privacy, please contact Randy Blizzard, our Senior Accounts Manager.
If we are unable to address your inquiry in a timely or satisfactory manner, please know that you are able to contact the Privacy Commissioner of Canada. Their address is 112 Kent Street, Ottawa, Ontario, K1A 1H3.